21 May 2008

Oh I'm sorry, you're not satisfied? TFB

An interesting article in Slate where the idea of over-prescribing antibiotics is discussed from an ER doctor's perspective. What I though the most screwed up was that the doctor was considering patient satisfaction as a criterion for prescribing an antibiotic.
Satisfaction. Hmmmm. Interesting.

Think about this. Doctors worry if their patient is satisfied with their experience. And they (in part) base their prescribing behavior on their perceptions of patient expectation and making the patient happy. Am I the only one who thinks this is messed up?

How about doctors worry about healing patients first? I don't recall the Hippocratic oath mentioning satisfying patients. Aren't doctors supposed to know what is best for patients afterall? Personally, if you were my patient and you got pissed after I told you that no medicine was necessary...I'd kick your scrawy, whiny butt out of my office...and charge you double for the visit.

Thank goodness I'm not an MD eh?

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.