11 February 2009

A new series

I've heard many stupid things relating to the economy lately. Things like bonuses, posh retreats and what-haves for bankers bailed out by our previous administration. Kudos to Obama for putting the smackdown on bonuses, BTW.

So I'm starting a new series called "Stop Whining". It's a populist-style rant for all the well-heeled people who think that these economic times mean things like buying a $2000 dress instead of a $5000 dress, less vacationing in Aspen, no private jets and driving themselves around. Basically, people who don't know what it feels like to be on the cusp of losing everything.

Ironically, I've heard the MOST bitching from these sorts of people. Mostly in the New York Times. Both entertaining and infuriating.

Segment 1: Gee, how can I possibly live on 500k a year? And, the Consumerist responds.

1 comment:

tiff said...

500,000 a year. If I got that, I'd work for about 6 years, bank the snot out of everything that's not a basic expense (OK, maybe I'd build that garage too), and then retire.

Of course, I don't live in Manhattan, but to the people who say everything is ridiculously expensive on the Island, I'd have to call bullcrap. Surely Chinatown apartments don't go for 96K a year? ;)