24 June 2009

Summer Salads

It's been awhile since I've been out to blog. I know that my one follower has been chomping at the beef jerky bit for updates.

Well, my thesis has been written and turned in to my committee members. It is 204 pages of love's labor. The culmination of 10 years' study and soon to be collecting dust at a library near you.

We have a cute herb garden on our balcony. Photos to come soon!

It is H-O-T outside, but I don't let stupid things like heat stroke deter me from enjoying my running or bicycling. I'm recovered, mostly, from an unfortunate attack of tendonitis and can't wait to really start training in July.

The motorcycle is in working condition, which I have come to realize is a relative term for something that's 26 years old. It turns on, it doesn't fall apart during a ride and it's peppy as all get out. What else can one ask for in a bike?

The hot weather means its salad season. Yay for cooking as little as possible! Monday was homemade pizza with lots of veggies. Last night was a greek/orzo pasta salad and tonight I'll be making Dragon's Lemon/Herb potato salad. This weekend may be the inaugural batch of gazpacho. (yum)

Here's my greek/orzo pasta salad:
1/2 bag spinach, chopped
Some black olives, chopped finely
1/4 red onion, chopped finely
Some feta cheese, chopped
1 1/2-2 cups orzo pasta
Olive oil, sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, balsamic vinegar

Directions:
1. Add the spinach, olives, cheese and onion in a bowl. Mix in some olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
2. Cook the pasta. Drain, let cool.
3. Add the pasta to the other ingredients. Throw in some more olive oil and vinegar for good measure.
4. Toss all the goodness together and enjoy!

Super easy, can be made vegan by substituting hard tofu for feta.

Note bene! Both recipes call for balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar is one of those things that a chef should not skimp on. You don't use too much of it, so it should be packed with deliciousness. Go to a deli or fine foods store and find yourself some good, sweet, syrup-like balsamic. You taste buds will love you for it.

No comments: