19 March 2008

Goodbye, Suburbia

I used to live in suburbia. Pleasant, yet. Monochromatic? Mostly, unfortunately, yes. Boring as all get out? OMG, yes. It didn't help that the 'burb was isolated and getting to a half-way decent store meant a 15-20 minute car drive. What WAS very nice, though, were my long runs because the country roads were long and winding and isolated. Me and my roads.
Anyway, now I've grown up (sort of) and moved closer to the city. Closer to downtown, shops, work etc. My poor car is relegated to "recreational vehicle" status.
It is interesting, too, to see that lately a financial impetus has arisen for people to get out of their single-family bubbles. An idea to share a home with people(s) actually makes financial sense, especially for these really large McMansions where...really...do you, your spouse, 1.5 kids and 3 cats really need 5000 square feet??
Think about it.

No comments: