14 July 2008

I searched for joy, but I bought it all

I got a lovely invitation from a lovely friend for a girls' night spa.

With all the demands you face, it’s important you still carve out time for that special someone in your life called ‘you.’ A BeautiControl Spa Escape is the perfect way to celebrate a happier, healthier, more balanced you.

Unfortunately it appears that the way to a happier, healthier, more-balanced me is to purchase some liquids, powders and nice-smelling things. If I start ranting about the slick marketing of this crap, I'll never stop. Happiness not in a freaking bottle! (Unless that bottle contains Riesling or a nice Rioja house red.) If I did go, it'd be for the fun of hanging out with my girlfriends. Not because I'm on a self-actualization quest and really thought it'd be found in a spa treatment.
I agree that taking time for yourself is very very important: as a slacker, my slackerhood is of utmost priority and I encourage everyone to take time for one's self. But it makes me curious if people really believe that if we do this 'day spa' thingy and buy all the goodies in pretty bottles, then we'll be happy?

4 comments:

Dragon said...

You obviously haven't tried Bath & Body Works, Black Raspberry Vanilla body lotion. :D It is happiness in a bottle.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on girly things! I'll give this Raspberry Vanilla 'happiness in a bottle' a try.

(I tend to think that happiness in a bottle includes a nice Rioja)

Dragon said...

Well I can't argue with that, sister. :)

By the way, I just used some of the black raspberry vanilla hand cream and my coworker said I smelled 'lickable'. It made me happy.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Lickable dragon? Meow!