07 December 2006

Please. Cover. Your. Things.

Er, no. This is not an open letter to La Spears, although recent events certainly merit a discussion on the pros and cons of undergarments.

This is an open letter, nay, a plea to you parents who think that kids do not need hat, scarves or gloves when it's 22F (-5C), and the wind chill makes it feel like 7F (-12C).

PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN, DAMMIT! IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!

So it's very very cold this morning, wind blowing. I'm freezing cold, and I'm all bundled up in buttoned coat, hat, gloves, scarf. I pass by two "mommies" with very many children.
None (NONE!) of their kiddos had on hat or scarf, and their jackets were left open. I was in total horror-what an oversight and I was really concerned how cold the kids looked.
Did these ladies know better? I really did wonder. So, in pirate form, I muttered "hat?...scarf?" and continued skulking about. I doubt they heard me, but it made me feel better that I did say something.

So...comment y'all. Was I inappropriate?
(9 Dec 06-thanks to Mad Sweeney for making me realize that the connotation of some of my phrases and/or words was...inappropriate, at best. Edits have been made!)

7 comments:

Dragon said...

Unfortunately you don't need intelligence to become a breeder. Sigh.

Skittles said...

It's a blistery 48 down here and EVERYONE from the Grannies to the Teenies are wrapped up to brave the cold. Yankees - y'all are just crazy!

tiff said...

I am warm-blooded, and therefore, when our things were small, didn't bundle them up as much as some thought I should. I learned better of that, though, when Thing 1's hands were like tiny blocks of ice after an outing. I cried from shame, and vowed to NEVER let that happen again. Now that our kiddies are little older,they can, by and large, determine what they want to wear, so the problem is theirs if they don't choose correctly.

I do, however, keep a couple of hoodies in the car, just in case.

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

OKAY! So Dominique has already used up her two times that she's allowed to brag how warm her winters are!
Tiff, I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Just in case! :)
Dragon, I totally agree.

Sparky Duck said...

No you were totally fine, though I will say I dont think I have ever worn a scarf, I always lost them, so I would have probably just muttered "hat"

Mad Sweeney said...

"I pass by two "mommies" who are carting their progeny around in their stroller-they must have had a whole litter between the two. I wonder if they've been introducted to the modern miracle called The Pill. But I digress!"


Totally inappropriate. I also adore your scientific descriptions of children..."progeny" and "litter." I hope you know that I am really biting my tongue here....

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Mad Sweeney-as always, you point out where I'm incorrect. I apologize! I respect mommies out there who are busting their ass to make sure that their kids come first. But, when I see see ladies who obviously have the means to take care of their kids, but have no desire to do so, then I get angry and those people have lost my respect. My anger was directed toward the women, not the children. It was obvious to me that those "mothers" were not taking care of their children-and it made me wonder why some people have so many kids when they can't or won't take proper care of them. Sarcasm ensued.