11 April 2007

Impulse

If I never have to say "I can't/won't buy this because I'm a graduate student", it'll be a day too soon. Being creative with finance and making sure my head stays out of Credit Card Land often means not getting a CD or a book (or that trashy gossip mag with Angelina on the cover)that I'd like to read. My impulse purchases are thus rare.

But, when done, it is a celebration worthy of many words. Oh yes.

Yesterday I bought Bright Eyes new album "Cassadaga", inspired by the town Cassadaga, FL.
Apparently, Cassadaga, FL is a hot-spot for psychics and all sorts of crazy wisdom. The album seems to reflect both the mystique and the energy of the town, not that I've been there.
My ears are so very happy. This is a country-twanged album, with lots of complex lyrics and melodies, much like "I'm wide awake, it's morning". But Cassadaga has a sophistication that was lacking in the bare-bones IWAIM. Although Cassadaga is not as much of a "protest album" as IWAIM was, one can easily find the anti-war sentiments that is prevalent in many of Bright Eyes more current works.

So, check out the NPR link I put in yesterday. "Middleman" is my favorite. It's great music.

:) LJS

4 comments:

Dragon said...

Never heard of them but since you like them, I'll give it a hear/see.

Sparky Duck said...

great, my ipod is gonna explode

tiff said...

OoooOOOOOOO, nothing beats new music.

Except, well, the obvious. And I'm sure you know what I mean.

Yes, it's cheesecake!

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

I totally agree Tiff! Cheesecake...hmmmmm.