14 August 2008

Ambition in 0.2 miles

I've recently come to a sort of peace with the idea that I may never run a marathon. Some parts of me, namely the knee joints and leg tendons, are actually rejoicing at this revelation. But where the corporeal body is wise, the brain is silly. Ambition creeps in. And on days where my knees and hamstrings aren't screaming at me, I think that maybe 26.2 miles is do-able.

But yesterday I had a great run. It was one of those perfect days where the weather, my energy level and the music just came together in harmony. I'm looking forward to the Detroit (half) marathon not as a consolation for not being able to do the full 26.2 but rather as a fulfilling and worthwhile goal in and of itself. Is it maturity? Doubtful. Maybe it's happiness and appreciation that I'm healthy enough to run, have the support and time to run, and still really really enjoy running.

So, in celebration, I present to you: 13 songs for 13.1 miles. Mild favorites from my iTUNES

Mile 1: Something mellow for the warm up. "Ride" by Cary Brothers
Mile 2: Something to meditate on: "Clocks" by Coldplay
Mile 3: Something to get over the bridge: "Never Let me Down" by Depeche Mode
Mile 4: Something for a new country: "New Slang" by The Shins
Mile 5: Something for the big D: "The Big Three Killed My Baby" by the White Stripes
Mile 6: Something peppy for motivation: "Dashboard" by Modest Mouse
Mile 7: Something for the morning sun: "Hard Sun" by Eddie Vedder
Mile 8: Something for the tunnel: "Where I End and You Begin" by Radiohead
Mile 9: Something for the hardest mile and great views: "3x5" by John Mayer
Mile 10: Something for another hard mile: "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens
Mile 11: Something for the tired legs: "Black Math" by the White Stripes
Mile 12: Something for the mind: "Caught by the River" by Doves
Mile 13: Something for resolution: "How it ends" by DeVotchKa

No comments: