27 August 2008

Ranting

Maybe I'm being a bit controversial here, but let me ask this. When the high point of one's CV is something along the lines of "I've spent 5-6 years studying the scientific equivalent to basket weaving", can they really say things like 'salary requirements' and 'geographical preference'? The hubris of some people in this building sort of validates my hypothesis that grad school is partially about socialization into the academic world, and this sometimes makes me silently curse.

Ostensibly, one goes for graduate studies to advance their career. And if the career trajectory doesn't include academia, then I think there are certain things that every analytical chemist should know if they want a job. Like how to run an HPLC. Like how to not be a slave to one technique. Like how to think about solving a problem, not making the problem fit into your knowledge. I think that there are not enough analytical chemists who can solve problems, who can step into any lab and say "ok, i know how to basically use any piece of equipment. now lets get to work", who are taught HOW to think rather than WHAT to think.

It's been a rough day for me and encountering silly people. It's move-in weekend and the undergrads are descending on my campus. Kali is behaving erratically, maybe it's the electrical system. I don't know, but I have a feeling that I'll be spending a weekend to figure it out.

On a good note, I did register for the 2008 Detroit half. :D

1 comment:

Dragon said...

Make those silly bastard walk the plank. I'll help!