16 October 2008

The G word

I believe that government is not a dirty word. I believe that government is made of people like US and can make lives better. I've experienced this on a very personal level: I would not be able to have gone to college if government did not give me a low-cost loan. I believe that it is morally and socially responsible to make sure that everybody has the right to lead a healthy happy life. Moreover, it makes economic sense to invest in education or preventative medicine instead of building more prisons or spending money to treat diseases that could have been avoided by simple preventative measures.

I see that my tax dollars, while not always spent in a manner I agree with (Iraq), are spent so my cousin, who is a single mom, can get free health care for her son. I see that people's lives are made better. I've seen people fed and housed; poor people having access to careers, education, transportation. Police now have armor vests and better technology to keep us safe. Research gets supported. Small businesses get start-up grants. How are these things bad?

So what that the government spends money on things you don't agree with? Do you really think that 300 million people are going to agree on anything? I think that government tries its best to help as many people as possible (when they're not "shock and awe"-ing them, but I digress).

I don't believe that if people were taxed less, they would necessarily donate that money to charitable causes. Look at tithes, as an example. Ask: How many people do you know tithe? How many churches are always asking for more money? Every church I know of is always underfunded, understaffed; always in danger of closing. Why? There is an unfortunate disconnect. Do you really think that they'd support other agencies if they can't/don't/won't even support their own church?

I'm not arguing for tax increases. I'm simply stating I recognize that government can be (and is generally) an agent of good. It's not a dirty word.

No comments: