21 October 2008

Obligations

Open letter to the over-promising, under-delivering twit:

Yes yes yes I know that what you are doing is overwhelmingly time consuming. But you should know that also and, as a result, NOT volunteer for other things. Let me tell you that I do not care that you are busy. Do what you said you were going to do. Dammit. If you do not fulfill your obligations...I will bear down on you with consequences and fury. Or at least make other people do it for me.
No, I don't think that your boss will be happy to learn that you volunteered to do something and now are backing out at the last minute.

Sincerely yours, the drill instructor LJS
___________________________________________
Folks, I know I've complained about this sort of thing before here and on the Monkey Barn. But I am a very strong believer in doing what you say you are going to do (aka following up on your word). For starters, often times your word is the only thing you have and it better be good or else your reputation is in the gutter. Another view is that your reputation is not built on the promises you make but on the promises you deliver. Now, this kid's reputation with me is on shaky ground, at best, and when I ask for volunteers in the future I will remember this unfortunate event. I will not tolerate the "I'm busy" excuse because WE ARE ALL BUSY, dammit. And most of us still find time to fulfill obligations and promises.

3 comments:

Hyperion said...

This probably sounds extraordinarily vain, but......are you talking about me?

Lady Jane Scarlett said...

Oh goodness no Hypey.

Dragon said...

You're talking about me, right. I know I said I'd be back in 5 weeks but it's turned into 6. I needed time to recover from the disappointing results. I'll be back next week. Promise.