19 July 2006

body and mind link

Ummm...Yeah. I'm not trying to be new age-y here but bear with me.

It's not too late for me to reconsider my training path (the way of the utterly insane is only 26.2 miles long), but I realized that these past couple of years have been pretty good for me because previously, I had never considered how much the body and mind and spirit are linked. I ignored being healthy and eating decently, I chowed down Macaroni Grill with gusto, embraced insomnia, and neglected exercise. Whether it was a bad mix of graduate school, full-time work and taking care of house (Version 1.0) was to "blame", who knows? I surely don't. I guess getting a mass the size of a baseball removed from your neck makes you reconsider life. So now there's no more Version 1.0, no more work, but still...graduate school (will it EVER end?). Anyhoo. My point being is that some people *do* exercise because it's the right thing to do or it gives them a great shape or blah blah blah. But, I've happily discovered that getting outside and doing something (anything) has such a positive effect on my spirits, and it's a great feeling. It's nice to embrace the bod, no pun intended, and treat it well. So, I am going to train hard for the Detroit marathon. And even if I have to crawl on all fours, I'm going to finish. That's my goal. Finish.

I'm off to find some zen. And, maybe some twinkies...
:) LJS

No comments: