07 March 2007

I want 2CU (on the road!)

I'm a running nerd, well...I enjoy it very much. But there was a point in my life where I was hanging a bit too much on the couch and enjoying the cheesy poofs a bit too much. And one day I decided to get off of the couch because I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded and I had always wanted to run. My friends, Matt and Kathy, were my inspiration. So, I started on a simple plan...to get my inertial ass from the couch and moving. My first race was a 5K on July 4th 2003 in miserable hot and humid conditions. I finished with a pace over 13 minutes/mile with a combination of running and walking. But you know what? I finished!

I tried a program that's similar to the "Couch to 5K" or C25K plan that Steve Runner talks about this week in his GREAT podcast, Phedippidations.

There's so many 5K races in the spring, give it a try!

Here's another great program.
The Cool Running C25K program

If you've ever thought about giving running a try, I highly recommend listening to this week's podcast. It's very encouraging (and funny!) and when you DO start to run, remember that you'll always have a lil piratess in Michigan to cheer you on. I know if I can do it, then you can too!

I must admit that I still enjoy hanging out on the couch with cheesy poofs, in moderation. ;)

See you on the road, fellow runners!
:D LJS

3 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

I think I should quit smoking first. I used to be on the track team in HS, but I did the field events, because the runners always looked sick

Pageant Mom said...

I used to run. I tried it (er more of a walk/plod) the other day - thankfully I had my cell phone to call for return service at the end of the road. SIGH.

I'm gonna get back in shape I swear one of these days...

Jay said...

I did my first 5K this fall, which is insane, because I am the anti-runner (also possibly the anti-christ). But while I admire runners, I never thought I could put one foot in front of the other.

Here via the Duck, by the way.