14 February 2006

Four Winds

I had written this a year ago for a poetry contest. This was the first poem that I've had the chutzpah to let others read. Alas, a poem about cow-shaped cream and sugar containers won the contest (no, I'm not kidding). But, I've gotten a bit less shy about sharing my writing. Still...I may take this off da Blog because I'd still like to work on it.
One should never ever read Neil Gaimon whilest listening to the Grateful Dead because it makes for some seriously fucked up metaphors. (And this was before I discovered the music of Ryan Adams) Neil was writing about the Four Horsemen motorcycling through England, Jerry was singing about "the four winds carry you safely home" and I thought how messed up our world would be if the four winds were actually dominated by the Four Horsemen (war, famine, Death, and pestilence). Ouch.

Well, that was last year. And as a sage gal once said " Back then, we were both younger. But then again, weren't we all?"
:) kd

PS: I want to ditch the "kd" moniker. Prizes aplenty for someone who has ideas for a better nickname, preferably one that's not ball-n-chained to my previous relationships.

________________________________________________

May the four winds carry you to me

through time, eternity, lust and trust

to the soul of my everything.

Let me rest easy in your embrace where

your bright eyes fill me with loving grace.

May the four winds carry you safely home

where North, South, West and East kiss

your words and scatter doubts amiss.

Come back to me, darling, I am alone

sailing on the open seas.

May the four winds carry us back

from fracture, shame, rage and fear.

In want of joy, our paths adrift;

my solitude greets Eros in the East.

Through the day and into the night

our game, I’ll play with you.

Your silence I’ll bear despite regret.

The West has to carry you home yet.

May the four winds yield my cries

across the desert and into your ears.

My tears broken by North’s cold

and your lies I curse and rue.

May the four winds know your home

so the four horsemen can raise their fete;

create a vortex of just desserts.

Their breath fades our memories.

Yet now I wonder what to do,

for still I am one instead of with you.

Now these four winds carry me safely home;

an iron maiden of resolve, mistrust, lust and love.

The rest of my days

torture me with delight.

3 comments:

Ber said...

How 'bout flipping it and being dk: doctor karen. That's Ms. DK to you...

Hyperion said...

As for the nickname, apparently you're using Lady Jane Scarlet.

As you can see by the number of replies I've put on your site, I seem a bit obsessed with you. Not true, but I am bizarely fascinated. Partly it could stem from the fact that I know virtually every who comes to visit, an I don't seem to know you (at least, I think I don't).

Of course, all of that went out of the window when I saw you read Neil Gaiman. I'm not kidding: My heart skipped three beats, and my mouth suddenly got very dry. What's that called?

Oh, and the poem? I've read it six times. Can't seem to get it out of my head. However, that doesn't prove anything. I was still in the sway of the Neil Gaiman thing. Still, I thought it was neato-mosquito.

And now I'm going to go crawl under a rock and hide for the rest of my life, since I'm turning into a blog-stalker, and not even a cool one with a tortured soul, but a nerd who says things like "neato-mosquito."

Kill me now.

Skittles said...

wow! Sweetie, that is beautifully powerful while also sad and torturous with a pining for hope. A self inflicted dispare?

I wish it weren't at all, but I'm thrilled that a new chapter is being written and look forward for it's ever growing poem of joy.