23 February 2006

memory lane

Are you counting backwards from 172,800 also?
It's funny how mid 40's in the spring seems so much warmer than mid 40's in the fall. Ber and I almost considered dining al fresco today because it's so nice! It was a wonderful lunch, the falafel of life and mjaddra of life were very tasty indeed.
Speaking of ber, let me take you down memory lane. My friend in high school, Liz, and I used to say "beer me". Not because we were a bunch of underage lushes, but because it seemed like a cool thing to say. And, as a nerd, I was desperate to sound cool. Come to think of it, things haven't really changed much. Anyhoo...
So, we very well couldn't write "beer me" all over our notebooks, lest we attract negative attention from the teachers. Didn't we have a duty as members of the esteemed 1992-1993 Academic Challenge (I wasn't lying when I said I was a nerd) team to be a tad more...creative? So we decided to write "ber me" and put a triangle over the beer which symbolized the long e sound that one sees in the dictionary. Pretty clever huh? I still have my red binder from high school with the words "Ber me" looming large near some Magnolia Inc. drawings. It's older than sin and I love it. I'm thinking I'll use it to bind my thesis so that it can collect dust in a color besides boring black. Ber me. :) ljs

1 comment:

Ber said...

Heh. Now I know our meeting was fated. Thanks for the JG, btw.