17 March 2006

Low standards, high prices

The lovely state of Michigan has been bleeding manufacturing jobs since 2003, losing most of its college graduates to other states, and no Michigan city is highly ranked for workforce education levels. Just two years ago, Jennifer Granholm advocated creating more educated population as a way to attract businesses to the state. (Just an aside, I *heart* Jennifer. I wish she could run for prez, but she's Canadian by birth. Bummer, eh?)
So what do I hear this morning? The state senate is considering relaxing the math requirements for high school graduation! That is to say, they may not require students to take algebra II. Instead, "alternatives" may be substituted. I'm not sure if learning how to dole out flour in measuring cups during home ed is my idea of a suitable alternative to algebra, but apparently it is for our happy state. Granted, I hated algebra II (honors, natch) and I know many people out there did also. But, math skills are highly correlated as a general gauge of a population's education. Is relaxing high school standards the most logical way of creating an educated population? It is counterintuitive to me. Actually, it sounds pretty f&*king stupid. By placing these low standards on kids, they may be able to pass high school but how will they perform in the job market? How will they be able to get through college?
In my humble piratess opinion...by even considering to relax high school graduation requirements, the senate is demonstrating an alarmingly myopic vision for the state. For this reason, and many others, I fear that our state is spiraling into an economic abyss.

I used to really enjoy living in Michigan, I still love Ann Arbor and my friends who are here. Unfortunately I look forward to the day when I can kiss this state goodbye and move to a state that is a) aesthetically beautiful and b) can support a vibrant and healthy biotech job market. Work one day, conquer a *fourteener* the next. Sounds great huh?

I can foresee next year's headlines...
"In today's news, the state of Michigan has decided that the only requirement for students to graduate from high school is a pulse and heartbeat."

Walk the plank! LJS

3 comments:

Ber said...

Aaaah Jennifer. I have a thing for Jennifers, apparently. Well, JGs at least. And Canadians. And Oscar winners with the initails AJ and JF. Yeah. Anyhoo.


Be sure to check out my answers at the barn.

Hyperion said...

Not to burst your bubble, but a pulse and a heartbeat are the same thing. And is this Ber a girl or a guy? She either sounds hot, or I need to take a long shower and think about the Crying Game....

Ber said...

Hyper, I am all woman. Even have the XX chromosomal testing to prove it ;)