22 March 2006

Orchid Maniac

I've been unintentionally killing my orchids. The 'lady slippers' are doing OK, but my phals are dying quickly. In the past week, three phals have died. Their demise is sudden, unlike any other orchid problem I've ever seen. One day, the plant is fine with no signs of root or crown rot; viral or bacterial infections. The next, the leaves fall off from the base of the plant.
I'm very sad about this, because I've had these orchids for 3-5 years and I feel like a really bad orchid parent. In some respects, I hope now that I can better tend to the ones I still have left. I'll soon have to move my cattleyas and other sun-loving plants from the house to my home and I'm hoping that they'll like their new home as much as I do.
On a happier note, my monster aloe is blooming! Booya.

I'm putting up a photo of "Colleen's Freebird", a phal that my mom bought for my birthday that died this week.
Here's "Taipei Gold" that I had for many years and produced so many beautiful flowers. Sometimes I even had two flower spikes from this plant! Died this week also. :(

No comments: